ThermaBeam™ is an insulated concrete flooring system that combines both high performance expanded polystyrene (EPS) insulation and structural grade reinforced concrete, forming a continuous layer of insulation across the entire ground floor.
The ThermaBeam flooring system is manufactured in steel moulds to strict quality standards. The C45/55 structural concrete is cast onto the insulation, eliminating air gaps and minimising heat loss. This provides a significant reduction in cold bridging and results in an evenly spread thermal performance. U-Values as low as 0.10W/m² can be achieved.
As the units bear on the inner leaf of cavity walls, a reduction in heat loss can also be achieved at the wall-floor junction. The insulation extends beyond the floor to the face of the wall cavity, ensuring continuity of insulation at the junction.
Therefore, the ThermaBeam insulated concrete flooring system is a more thermally efficient method of construction compared to traditional methods as it helps to maximise the thermal performance and energy rating of the building. With a choice of two insulation types available – poly or poly plus, it is the perfect solution for use as a ground floor in domestic and residential buildings.
The ThermaBeam flooring system also helps to reduce CO² emissions by decreasing the amount of non-renewable energy required to heat the building. This helps to achieve the required Target Emissions Rating (TER).
ThermaBeam™ insulated flooring units are available in standard depths of 300mm and 375mm and come in a choice of four nominal widths – 400, 600, 900 and 1200mm.
The ThermaBeam precast insulated concrete flooring system consists of the following components:
EPS – moulded rigid boards in two grades in accordance with BS EN 13163 : 2012 (white, λ90/90 = 0.038 and Grey, λ90/90 = 0.030)
Concrete – minimum grade C45/55 to BS EN 206 : 2013, BS 8500-1 : 2015 and BS 8500-2 : 2015
Steel reinforcement – to BS 4449 : 2005
The below items can form part of the overall ground floor construction:
- Joint filling – concrete or sand-cement mortar with a strength class C25/30 and maximum aggregate size of 10mm
- *Concrete floor screed – typically between 25 and 100mm thick.
- *Self-levelling compound
- *Timber battens – to receive floor finishes
- *Other suitable non-structural applied floor finishes
- *Damp-proof courses (dpcs), damp-proof membranes and gas barrier membranes (with third-party approval and compatible with EPS)
- Telescopic ventilators
*Items supplied by other companies
All dimensions in mm
All dimensions in mm
Outstanding Thermal Performance
The system integrates structural concrete with expanded polystyrene insulation and the tightly butted units lock in the thermal performance efficiency across the slab.
Part L 2013 Compliance
Thermabeam is available in 3 performance options designed to boost your building’s performance with SAP.
Reduced Cold Bridging
The Thermabeam insulated concrete flooring system is designed to reduce cold bridging at wall/floor junctions making an important contribution to Part L performance. The Psi values offer improvement over both the default and approved values within table K1 SAP 2012. Typical Psi value is 0.11W/mK based on ThermaBeam Plus configuration.
Suspended floor with 1200mm wide, 300mm deep end bearing unit (EPS70), Uw=0.30Wm-²K-¹ – temperature profile.
Benefits of using ThermaBeam insulated concrete flooring
- Fast installation: As units are manufactured offsite they are not affected by adverse weather conditions
- Excellent thermal performance: Due to its superior insulating properties
- Low U-Values achieved: As low as 0.10W/m² K, based on a P/A ratio of 0.2
- Higher energy: Efficiency rating achievable
- Building Regulations compliant
- Economical: Low on-site costs, zero wastage on-site, minimal on-site labour costs and minimum space required
- Cast-in service openings* option: To facilitate quick installation on site
- Reduced safety issues: Reduced on-site working
- Safe working platform: Follow-on trades are achievable within a few hours
- Low carbon footprint: Since less energy is required to heat building
- European and British Quality Standards compliant: BBA certified
- Spans up to 7.5m achievable
- Flexible design: To meet customer’s design and loading requirements
- Interstitial and surface condensation risk is minimised
* Service openings can only be cast-in during manufacture if their position and sizes are agreed at the design stage.