ThermaBeam™ is an insulated precast concrete flooring system that combines both high performance expanded polystyrene (EPS) insulation and structural grade reinforced concrete, forming a continuous layer of insulation across the entire floor.
The ThermaBeam flooring system is manufactured in steel moulds to strict quality standards. The C45/55 structural concrete is cast onto the insulation, eliminating air gaps and minimising heat loss; thereby providing a significant reduction in cold bridging, resulting in an evenly spread thermal performance. U-Values as low as 0.10W/m² can be achieved and, because the units bear on the inner leaf of cavity walls, a reduction in heat loss can be achieved at the wall-floor junction because the insulation extends beyond the floor to the face of the wall cavity, ensuring continuity of insulation at the junction.
Therefore, the ThermaBeam insulated concrete flooring system is a more thermally efficient method of construction compared to traditional methods as it helps to maximise the thermal performance and energy rating of the building. With a choice of two insulation types available – poly or poly plus, it is the perfect solution for use as a ground floor in domestic and residential buildings.
The ThermaBeam flooring system also helps to reduce CO² emissions by decreasing the amount of non-renewable energy required to heat the building, helping to achieve the required Target Emissions Rating (TER).
ThermaBeam™ insulated flooring units are available in standard depths of 300mm and 375mm, with a choice of four nominal widths – 400, 600, 900 and 1200mm.
The ThermaBeam precast insulated flooring system consists of the following components:
EPS – moulded rigid boards in two grades in accordance with BS EN 13163 : 2012 (white, λ90/90 = 0.038 and Grey, λ90/90 = 0.030)
Concrete – minimum grade C45/55 to BS EN 206 :2013, BS 8500-1 : 2015 and BS 8500-2 : 2015
Steel reinforcement – to BS 4449 : 2005
The below items can form part of the overall floor construction:
- Joint filling – concrete or sand-cement mortar with a strength class C25/30 and maximum aggregate size of 10mm
- Concrete floor screed – typically between 10 and 100mm thick. FP McCann recommend a minimum thickness of 75mm.
- Self-levelling compound
- Timber battens – to receive floor finishes
- Other suitable non-structural applied floor finishes
- Damp-proof courses (dpcs), damp-proof membranes and gas barrier membranes (with third-party approval and compatible with EPS)
- Telescopic ventilators
All dimensions in mm
All dimensions in mm
- Fast installation: Units are manufactured offsite and are not affected by adverse weather
- Excellent thermal performance: Due to its superior insulating properties
- Low U-Values achieved: As low as 0.10W/m² K, based on a P/A ratio of 0.2
- Higher energy: Efficiency rating achievable
- Building Regulations compliant
- Economical: Low on-site costs, zero wastage on-site, minimal on-site labour costs and minimum space required
- Cast-in service openings*: To facilitate quick installation on site
- Reduced safety issues: Reduced on-site working
- Safe working platform: For follow-on trades is achievable within a few hours
- Low carbon footprint: Since less energy is required to heat building
- European and British Quality Standards compliant: BBA certified
- Spans up to 7.5m achievable
- Flexible design: To meet customer’s design and loading requirements
- Interstitial and surface condensation risk is minimised
- Durable: Units gain strength over time, resulting in a long service life
* Service openings can only be cast-in during manufacture if their position/ sizes are agreed at the design stage.