Client: Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
Footbridge constructed as part of Newcastle Promenade upgrade project. Contractor designed and built landmark pedestrian foot bridge spanning 50m over the Shimna River.
- Visually striking splayed Vierendeel truss with non parallel top and bottom chords. The deck was finished with 40mm thick timber boarding supported on a steel grillage. Also supplied on this bridge was a marine grade stainless steel anti-climb hand railing and ballustrading
- Feature bridge lighting
Other works associated included:
- Exposed aggregate concrete paths
- Hardwood Slip Resistant Decked boardwalks
- Soft landscaping- perennial and herbaceous planting areas, reinforced grass areas used to create grass dunes and ripple areas
- Wave return wall and slipways
- Curved ‘wave’ stone steps
- Street furniture
- Feature lighting including Stainless Steel Laser Cut columns with LED lights
This scheme won a Civic Trust Award (2007) for best Public Realm project and an Award from the Irish Landscape Institute.