Client: Mid Ulster District Council
The project was undertaken to install an interim cap which meets the requirements of Pollution Prevention and Control (PPC) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003 and the Landfill (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2003.
The composite capping system installed captured ground gases produced from degradable wastes and mitigates the infiltration of surface water into the waste mass. The composite capping system consisted of the following:
- Soil Regulation Layer (Minimum 200mm);
- Geosynthetic Clay Liner (GCL);
- Surface Water Drainage Layer (Geocomposite);
- Protection layer (Minimum 300mm); and
- Restoration Soils (Subsoil/Topsoil) (Minimum 700mm).