Title: UB190 Bann Bridge, Coleraine, Bearing Replacement
Locations: Bann Bridge, Coleraine
The UB190 Bann Bridge Coleraine carries a single track for approximately 240m over the River Bann on the Coleraine to Derry-Londonderry line section. It was constructed in the early 1920’s and has 11 No. spans, one of which is a lifting bascule type to allow the passage of shipping to the Coleraine Port.
As part of the contract, FP McCann will undertake localised structural strengthening works to the individual bridge spans ahead of the installation of a purposely designed support system that will enable individual bridge bearing units to be removed and replaced. This will be supplemented by localised painting works to the structure.
Throughout the duration of the works, timetabled railway services will continue to operate as normal, as will maritime traffic using the Bann. The project is expected to complete in March 2019.
Upon completion of each individual bridge span, the support system will be progressively removed, allowing the bridge structure to continue its’ role as a vital infrastructure asset for Translink.
Oliver Watts, Translink Project Manager, said: ‘‘This is an important project, as the Bann Railway Bridge is a key component of the busy Derry-Londonderry railway line, which has witnessed an increase in passenger numbers of around 30% since the introduction of an hourly service last year. The works will be carried out throughout the winter months, with no anticipated disruption to services or to maritime traffic using the Bann, and will complete in March next year. Translink is looking forward to working with FP. McCann to deliver this project and ensure the long-term future of the bridge.’’
Works to the Bann Bridge will include:
- Surveying the existing structure to determine the size of plates, stiffeners, bearing components and works to the top of the piers.
- Fabrication and installation of new stiffeners and plates.
- Removal of the existing bearings.
- Design of the temporary jacking of the existing superstructure.
- Design of the temporary horizontal bracing of the superstructure.
- Design, fabrication and installation of the bearings.
- Removal and reapplication of paint system local to the works.
- Monitoring of girder and track positions during works.
We particularly welcome interest from local sub-contractors and suppliers. Please contact FP McCann on 028 7964 2558.