Project Funders: Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council and the Department for Communities
The Portadown Linkages Project aims to improve the linkages and connections surrounding Portadown town centre, including the People’s Park, Portadown train station, ASDA, the Meadows Shopping Centre, the Old Town Quay river access scheme and the town centre.
FP McCann has been appointed as the main contractor for the project. We have extensive experience in successfully completing public realm work of this size and scale throughout Northern Ireland. Our most recent public realm projects include Magherafelt, Cookstown, Newtownards, Comber, Donaghadee, Bangor and Holywood.
This scheme is a major civil engineering project with significant quantities of material transported in and out of the seven separate locations across Portadown. We will endeavour to complete the works as efficiently as possible and minimise any disturbance caused to you as a resident, business or customer. The work will be carried out in phases:
• 13th February – site compounds established and site investigative work began.
• 20th February – main works began on Craigwell Avenue with a further three sections (Castle St, Woodhouse St, and Meadow Lane) starting on 27th February.
• All areas will remain open for business throughout.
• Pedestrian access will be maintained to all businesses and properties.
• Some parking bays may be closed to facilitate construction, however this will be a temporary measure and any impacts will be kept to a minimum.
• It is anticipated that works will be complete by mid-Autumn 2017.
We are confident that you will see a significant improvement to the current streetscape that will ultimately deliver a positive impact on the linkages and town as a whole and we thank you for your patience and co-operation during this construction phase.
Before work began, information sessions took place in Portadown Town Hall on Wednesday 1st February and Thursday 2nd February, 2017. The information sessions were advertised in the local press and a letter drop was carried out to all premises affected by the works. The sessions addressed the following areas and both were very successful.
Session 1: Craigwell Avenue, Obins Street, Park Road, Woodhouse Street.
Session 2: West Street, Carrack Blacker Road, Bridge St, Castle St, Mill Avenue, and Meadow Lane.
Progress to date
Investigative works have been completed across the seven areas. The main works have started on Craigwell Avenue, Castle St, Woodhouse St, and Meadow Lane.
FP McCann Ltd has appointed a dedicated Public Liaison Officer for this scheme, Dianne Kelly, who will act as a point of contact during the works for residences, businesses and any other interested parties. Contact details for the site team are listed below: