The project was carried out under the main project for Buttimer Engineering on behalf of ADM Agri Foods, for the installation of two 6000 tonne grain silos in Greenore Port for storage of grain shipments coming in and out of the port. FP McCann’s scope of works on the project was to install the reinforced concrete silo bases and ancillary works.
The project was carried out within a live port and continuous liaison with Port management was essential to ensure works and/or delivery vehicles did not hinder the working operations of the port.
The works involved;
- Excavation for 2no. conveyor tunnels, an inlet pit and an outlet pit
- Tying reinforcement, setting up of formwork and pouring concrete for tunnel bases and walls, along with pit bases and walls
- Tying reinforcement, setting formwork and pouring of 2nr 21 diameter silo bases
- Installing aeration ducts within main silo bases
- Installing of power duct track across port yard
- Excavation, tying reinforcement, setting formwork and pouring of 12nr building pad foundations
- Excavation, tying reinforcement, setting formwork and pouring of intake ramp
- Setting of holding down bolts for silo bin posts within main silo bases
- All associated concrete reinstatement works
Overall on the project, approximately 150 tonne of steel reinforcement was used and 1000m³ of concrete has been poured, which was supplied from our own Cootes Quarry in Armagh. There were a number of large pours with the largest at any one time being 230m³ and the supply was well-organised.